1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you be interested in an intelligent irrigation system?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Davste, Nov 1, 2012.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,714
    I've done the survey but I thought questions one and two were impossible to answer.

How often I water and how long it takes varies wildly depending on time of year and weather conditions.
    As you say your system would work on soil moisture, if you can do that, questions one and two are irrelevant, arn't they?

Hope you can make it work, but somehow I think it would be best aimed at the professional growers, I for one, kind of like going round watering, I get to see all my plants on a daily basis in the summer months.

If you just sit back and let them get on with it, I cant see the point in growing them in the first place.
    But then I'm not really normal.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Davste

Davste Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      You make a couple of good points. Questions 1 and 2 are there so I can try to get a general idea of how much time this system will actually save you from watering if you get it up and running. This, as you say - may vary wildly depending on the season and so on.

I'm hoping to aim this at novice growers too. If you go abroad and have nobody to water your plants while you're at home... wouldn't you agree this would be a bit handy where a timer based system will fail (in case it rains and so on)? I've personally faced the problem a lot of times.

Ahh, and plants will still need loads of care. Watering is only one part :)

I can also see this being useful in local garden centers too - they often used timer based systems to water plants with very different needs, so you see some plants prospering and some plants dying there. They have employees to take care of the plants too but still have this problem. Maybe the employees are careless, but this place is very big.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,565
      Hi Davste, I've filled in the questionaire but it was difficult to know how to answer. I've answered from a greenhouse point of view as I'm never likely to need a system like this on an island that has high rainfall.

I wish you luck with it and please give us a progress report as many members will be interested to know how it develops. :)

• Davste

Davste Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Will do, and once it's done (don't expect it too soon though, it will take around 6 months to a year), I'll offer it to everyone who helped at cost price (meaning just the cost it took me to buy the actual hardware, excluding labor and time it took me to make the software). I may ship a free alpha version to someone to test it for me :)

• Like Like x 2
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,714
        Yes I can see it being very useful to anyone who goes away for periods during the summer.
        But cost will be the stumbling block to most people I tend to think.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,565
        We all realise these things take time so that's not a problem, and a generous offer from you, thanks. :)

• Like Like x 1
        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          Only thing is that when I do my watering in the greenhouse I also do my humidity raising buckets and the misting too, so I'll still be needed..................

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
          Ratings:
          +7,284
          Myself I would find it VERY beneficial, Though again depending on the cost AND how techinical it would be to setup and use

Good luck and hope you Major in it

Jack McH

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,512
          I can also see it being a boon for shift workers (like me) - there are some days where I really struggle to water my plants simply because I am at work all day and into the night, so its not really practical to get the hose out at midnight or one in the morning. Normally, Mrs C would take care of it for me, but at times when she is incapacitated (as she is now), this would be a real problem.

I still think the best way to keep the cost sensible is to make it easily configurable and expandable - sell the basic kit as the software, control unit and a single zone worth of tubing, sensor and valve etc, and then allow people to come back and add on additional zones, additional water points within a zone, or even a reservoir for feed?

I appreciate that this would make it a pain in the bum to get the likes of Homebase etc interested in retailing it in the early stages due to the sheer number of components and add ons that would need to be stocked - but then, do you really want others retailing it for you when you?

A good website to back up your product, and you've got the potential to grow fairly quickly, whilst still retaining your own control (no buyers pressuring you for thousands of units at a time), and more importantly not paying any middle-men their cut.