1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wysteria

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lisa Connors, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Lisa Connors

Lisa Connors Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi my 4 yr old whysteria has yellow and brown leaves, does anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be?

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I'd say they have scorched in full sun, nothing to worry about, could they have been wet at some point in hot sun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Lisa Connors

Ratings:
      +2
      I do water regularly but at the base, we tend to water it in the morning before hot sun arrives?

• Like Like x 2
      • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
        +491
        Watering in the evening is usually best for everything IMO. Even if you water when it's cool in the morning, the water doesn't necessarily have time to penetrate to the roots before the sun gets in on the action.

Looking at the pictures, some of the scorching is above the fence line. Could your neighbour be watering during the day and be spraying over the top of the fence?

When I had a wisteria against a south-facing wall, it used to regularly get scorched leaves. The brickwork got too hot to touch at times, so the odd leaves that touched hot spots naturally didn't like that. The plant itself thrived though. Like @pete, I'd suspect it's probably basically OK unless the problem spreads.

• Like Like x 2
        • Lisa Connors

Ratings:
          +2
          No I know the neighbour isn't watering over my fence, am i watering too much, should I water daily or only weekly?
          I'll see how it goes and just leave it alone hopefully it will rectify itself.
          Thanks

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          There are many misconceptions about watering.

Indoor plants. Give a thorough soak, plunge if possible. Leave to drain. Water when compost is really dry.

Garden plants in general. Give a good soaking to the base/roots of the subject. For trees/shrubs, a light mulch applied will help prevent evaporation. No need to water again for a few days.

• Like Like x 2
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,077
            Watering, a good soaking once a week, but it really depends upon how established the plant is.
            Newly planted this year water well while we have hot dry weather.
            If it's been there a few years I probably wouldn't water at all.

• Agree Agree x 1