1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yawn ... wakey, wakey ... (2)

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Daisies, Sep 25, 2009.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,361
    Good morning everyone,

I've just come in from the garden and it is rather chilly out there. The ground is in perfect condition for working on and I shall get back out there later on. :gnthb:

Got to rush.

Have a great day :D

2. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Morning everyone, just popped in to say hello.:flwsml:

Been busy decorating lately. Back to work tomorrow after a week off.:(

Hope everyone is well.:thmb:

Take care 02 .

3. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Good morning everyone,

Its -15 here and the snow is back, it snowed a little overnight too.

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Peri,I go back to seer the nurse next Friday and will see what the levels are and hopefully she will give me a diet sheet to work from and she had been talking about the Metformin but won't know for definete until I see her.It is a nightmare at the moment because on that forum the advice is different to what I was told and when i spoke to my friend yesterday whi is type1 she said to follow what the nurse suggested until the results come back.Looks like it will be a life of lettuce leaves from now on:(

I walked into the kitchen earlier and there was a Song Thrush in the garden,only the second one we have seen in the nine years we have lived here.Grabbed my camera and took a couple of photos but the bird was a bit too far away:p The stuff i got off the garden will go into my compost bins and leaf bags and once it has rotted down further will come back and be spread on the garden.By getting rid of the leaves we can now see the bulbs coming up plus I found a few slugs that were living under the leaves so they got chucked in the road:hehe:

I gave up with the birdwatch as whenever I picked an hour all the birds vanished yet as soon as the time was up they all came back.I would rather it be over a day instead of an hour:)

Really cold here today and because it is windy won't be gardening today as I find that the wind seeps right through me when it is very cold.We might get some more snow tomorrow night so we shall see:gnthb:

Hope you have a good afternoon with the paperwork.:ywn:I have been trying to sort out holiday destinations with Mr Kandy by text in between doing house jobs this morning and then this week have to book the Autumn one now we know where we are going:)

Enjoy your rest of the day:)

5. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    Evening friends :luv:

My visits here are turning into night night posts :hehe: Another busy day and the computer has hardly been on but it's rest time now. Have a good evening everyone.

6. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,361
    Good morning everyone,

The wind picked up yesterday and I decided it was too cold to carry on gardening so we went out to the pub for lunch - tough decision :hehe:

Kandy, sorry to hear about the diabetes :(. Has the doc sent you to a dietician yet? Probably not, as you are waiting for results.

Here is a link to some comment about the GI diet which may be of some help. http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/DIET/gi_diet.htm

The GI diet helps in controlling sugar levels but you need to use a bit of common sense with it and not have things that are high in fat or salt - salted peanuts, whole milk etc. What is of help is that it lists the foods that are good and bad for you to eat from the effect it has on your sugar levels. Here is a list.

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/DIET/gi_diet/glycaemic_index_tables.htm

It would be better to get the proper book that explains it much better as this list is not very comprehensive. e.g. it says that tomato soup is OK but it really means homemade soup as most commercial ones put sugar in them (if you find that the toms in homemade soup are a bit too sharp then try adding a bit of bicarb instead of sugar). Nearly all veg is good except for parsnip, turnip, squash etc as they are high in sugars. Funnily enough carrots are OK.

Mrs shiney has advanced students all weekend so, as usual, I am planning the lunches - always vegetarian although I am a carnivore. Saturday: slightly spicy lentil soup, stir fried veggies (spring onions, carrots, mangetout, courgettes, sweet peppers, celery, mushrooms, ginger, garlic, touch of veggie stock etc), soft noodles with spring onions and bean sprouts (veggie stock and soy sauce) and plain basmati rice. Followed by fresh fruit. All very healthy :gnthb:. Not sure yet about Sunday but may be veggie soup, Quorn mince bolognese with wholemeal penne pasta and homemade apple crumble (no sugar or flour). There will be salad, wholemeal bread, houmous and cheese available for those who don't want the hot food.

Oscar doesn't allow the students to come in for dinner until they have all stroked him - before washing their hands. He sits outside the back door as they come in through the utility room to wash their their hands. k-l k-l

I'm busy organising a charity quiz, with food that we do ourselves, for next weekend and a charity bridge drive (also with food) the following week. That is all on top of everything else I still have to do. Who said that being retired is relaxing? :hehe:

7. Penny in Ontario

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Good morning everyone,

Its -18 here and snow squalls are coming in off the Bay........come on Spring!

8. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good afternoon everyone,a bit late today but better late than never:D

Shiney I don't blame you for missing out on the gardening yesterday as it was bitter here so stayed indoors and got on with stuff in the warm.We then had rain in the afternoon and early evening but still managed our village walk after the railway programme with that Portilo bloke{He even mentioned your Birthplace yesterday or Tuesday:thmb:}:ntwrth:

Shiney,I have been last week to have my HbA1c test done and am due to go back Feb 5th for the results and then the nurse{she is type1}will decide whether to put me on Metformin or still try me with diet first.If the levels are too high then it will probably be the meds straight away.I have today weighed myself and have lost another 1lb which for me with PCOS and Menapause is pretty good.I have now altogether lost 1 stone since November:yho:{4lb of that was over Christmas} The nurse never mentioned a dietician as yet until she gets the results back{which she should have by now i would have thought}

Thankyou for the GI lists,I have a couple of them already in favourites and also have the GI book by Rick Gallop and a GI one that Tesco's do but have now noticed that they no longer put GI symbles on their packaging as we looked last week.My Cholesterol is 4.6 so I must be doing something right and am now just trying to follow a sensible diet so that I don't get too many Glucose spikes.Sometimes though in the mornings I wake up feeling like I am starving but have to resist eating a lot to feel less hungry.

We are going to see my sister on Saturday the one who has now lost 49lb though still has to take the Metformin.She has suggested a book by Stella Bowling called Everyday Cooking for Diabetics but I want to see my sisters copy to see what things I can eat.I have also bought Quorn sausages to try:p and also Pitta breads but even they can be high in Carbs.I think with this lifestyle change it is all about eating low carb foods but at the moment I am still trying to get my head round it all.

I expect in the end I will have to have one of those meter thingies,but don't know for sure until I see the nurse.I have also been told that I will get an appointment from the hospital for a Retinopathy test so Mr Kandy will have to come with me as from what I have read on the net they put drops in the eyes to make the pupils get big so that they can then take a photo or some such thing to check on blood vessels.

Oh and by the way,my sister has been found to have Cataracts so will need to get them sorted eventually.:p

Apart from that I still have all my facalties apart from my bad memory which I suppose I can live with...:D

Hope all goes well with Mrs Shiney's group at the weekend and glad to see Oscar is enjoying himself.:)k-lk-l

PS did you know that Cinnamon is also good for lowering blood sugar levels{Not many people know that,and also there are 500,000 people in this country alone who have Diabetes and don't even know they have got it:oops:

9. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,807
    Good morning all my friends,Yes its another cracking Friday again,outside its raining and misty and just above freezing but then in two days it will be February,Spring is getting closer by the hour,anyway everyone have a good day and please stay safe.:)

10. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good morning everyone,

Woo yes we are a day nearer spring and a day nearer the summer which hopefully will be warm this year:D Sorry though that your weather is a bit unpleasant
    at the moment and hope it improves as the day goes on:)

Peri,sounds like you are going to have a good weekend.Hope the weather stays good for you and you see plenty of wildlife:gnthb:

I have just been watching the news{I know I'm sad:D} and some chap has been fined £60 with three penelty points for blowing his nose while sitting in a queue of traffic:pI don't blame him for refusing to pay because as he said he had the handbreak on and the gear stick in neutral so he is fighting it.:gnthb: It is about time the Police spent their time catching the real criminals and also all the people that are using their mobile phones while driving.:p

Hope you all have a great day:)

Anyway,he are a couple of photos of my GI books and my methods of losing weight.I can highly recommend the trampette but be careful not to get too close to the edge:D
    GI books Shiney...
    [​IMG]
    My training bike when my Sciatica is not playing up...
    [​IMG]
    And our adopted cat Davina/Uggy trying to decide whether she needs to lose weight:p
    [​IMG]P
    PS,sorry about the blurred photo it looked ok in photobucket:oops::o:D

11. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,361
    Good morning everyone,

Woo, are you going to try and take a photo of the moon and Mars together tonight if the cloud clears? It should be best at about 9 p.m.

Kandy, yes we know about the cinnamon :). It is good to use it on porridge. In the Pacific the islanders use it a lot on their cereal which is a form of porridge but with a few added spices.

The weather turned out quite a bit milder yesterday so we went for a walk and then I mowed the grass and did a bit of tidying up. I then checked the apples in the shed and brought in all that was left - about 15lb - which will mainly be made into apple crumbles but some will be stewed and put in Mrs shiney's home made muesli. :thumb:

Some of our early snowdrops are flowering which always is a cheerful sight :gnthb:

12. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,807
    Good morning Shiney I shall be outside as you advised at 9 pm sharp ,waiting in anticipation and for a clear sky:)

13. Penny in Ontario

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Good morning everyone,

Its currently -29 here and it snowed overnight.

Have some laundry in, and just having my coffee.

14. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Brrrrrr Penny.........now thats COLD!!!!! s00k

15. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,807
    Good morning all my friends on this beautiful Crisp and bright Saturday morning,indeed the last one in January, I hope that you are all well and OK,please have a great weekend and everyone stay safe.:)