Yawn... Wakey Wakey...!!! #3

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Feb 2, 2010.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,297
    Morning Kandy :thumb:

It's a bit early for blight. Mr Kandy is more likely to be correct.

Our beans reached the top of the canes about two weeks ago and have had flowers for longer than that but the beans didn't set until yesterday :(. I've given them another good watering so it should be yum yum time soon :).

Our forecast today is the upper twenties and sunny. It is already 23C out there.

Mrs shiney and Oscar are well but Oscar is also drooping in this heat. k-l

Don't overdo things :luv:

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Our beans reached the top of the canes last week so Mr K pinched out the tops,although I wanted to put some canes across the top of the wigwams to let them run along the tops but he said the flowers won't set if we don't pinch them out:p

When we go over this morning I will take some photos of the spuds so you can get an idea what I mean about their health:D

Our tomato fruit in the garden are getting quiet big and the tomato plant that I put in water after it had snapped off is growing roots so will be able to put it back in the ground soon.Just hope that we don't lose the toms to blight this year:mad:

All the cats that live with us adopted and our own are whilting and prefere to lay on my plants in the borders to get some shade:hehe::(

3. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +549
    Morning all :luv:
    It is raining here and is soooo badly needed.
    Had a lovely day yesterday-went to the Bishops garden ( next to our Cathedral) which had been opened to the public in aid of charity. It was beautiful and there was a band playing too.
    Then I went on to a friends leaving party (she is moving back to France) and had a lovely afyernoon! :)

4. shiney

Ratings:
    +117,297
    Good morning everyone,

It's raining here as well :yho: :yho: :yho: but not very hard.

Kandy, the flowers will set even if you don't take out the leading tip. What does happen if you take out the tip is that you get more side shoots. As the leading tip can grow between 3" and 6" a day once they have really got going you could have left them but you would find that growing them across the top of the wigwams (actually they are teepees not wigwams :hehe:) could be a bit of a nuisance. You would find that they are too low because the stalk and leaves tend to droop down a lot and they would get in the way when you want to pick beans from the wigwam.

Our potatoes are all ready for picking and the leaves have virtually all disappeared. We shall lift them this week.

I popped out into the garden this morning to see how the beans were coming along. We have quite a few tiny beans and two that are now 3" inches long :gnthb:. They were less than half an inch two days ago. My mouth is watering :).

Jazmine, it sounds as though you had a good time yesterday.

Have a great day :D

5. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Good morning everyone,:)

Its warm and overcast here, so it looks like we might get some rain today.:thumb:

I'm off to Toronto in awhile for my husband, which i dont mind, there is a great garden centre on my way :hehe:

6. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good afternoon everyone but late getting on here today but better late than never:D

Shiney,Wigwams /Teepees,does it really matter as long as they are scrambling up something:flag::hehe: I checked them yesterday and they already seem to be going above the canes again even though Mr K pinched out the tops.He put in two beans to each cane so we have mutiple stems coming from each one,but as long as they produce beans then I don't mind:p Our Blight resistant toms are doing very well and have some large toms on them at the moment although we have steady rain falling at the moment,so hope they are going to be ok and don't get blighted.

At least everything is getting a drink,although I shall miss sitting outside of an evening if this rain keeps on going and we can't take the gazebo down while it is wet:(

Have dug up lots more spuds but the Pink Fir Apple are still quiet small so they will have a bit longer,but have now pulled up all my onions and shallots.The shallots havn't done very well this year and the clumps have very small bulbs on them so they are a dissapointment and I won't be able to pickle them as they are so tiny:p

Hope you all have a great afternoon and evening:)

7. shiney

Ratings:
    +117,297
    Good morning everyone,
    We didn't get much rain yesterday but it was better than nothing :thumb:. It drizzled a bit last night and we are forecast to have more rain today. I've got my brolly ready as I have to go to a funeral this afternoon :(.

Our onions are still going strong. The stalks have no sign of changing colour or drooping and the bulbs look to be about 4"-5" across :thumb:. The garlic has grown very well this year and the stalks are just beginning to change colour.

With it having drizzled two mornings in succession I guess I shall have to start mowing again. Our main lawn is white because it is covered in clover flowers. This will make mowing very difficult because it will be covered in bees :scratch:.

8. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,279
    Good morning Shiney and all my other friends,its been raining here for a while and very welcome it is to:) Everyone have a good day and please stay safe:)

9. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    good morning all

i have had a little rain too - could do with a bit more

loopy

10. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +549
    Goodnight everyone :luv:
    We have had a lot of rain here and my garden is so grateful for it :)

11. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good morning everyone,

Very busy at the moment,had two large bowls of Gooseberries to top and tail and they have taken ages to do and I had to resist eating too many of them.They were the nice red variety so the ones I like whereas the green tarty ones Mr Kandy can have them:DOur peas are all but done now but am pleased with the amount we had off of them and only found a couple of pea maggots as we don't spray them:p

Shiney,good info about the extra growth on the Runner Beans,I neede to take my steps over to the allotment when the rain stops falling and see if I can add those extra canes along the tops:p

Hope we get some sun back again today now that the garden and allotment plants have been nicely watered and hope you all have a good day:)

12. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,279
    Good morning Kandy and all my other friends hope you are all OK and well,I have a new power shower to install to day and some gardening jobs to do before the final judging for the local garden competition,everyone have a lovely day and please stay safe:)

13. shiney

Ratings:
    +117,297
    Goodmorning everyone,

Woo, good luck with the garden competition. :gnthb:

Kandy, be careful if you are going to use steps at the allotment :luv:. You shouldn't have any problem putting canes across the top because they won't need tying in. You only need to rest them in amongst the tops of the wigwam canes. Then you can wind the beans that are already sticking above the wigwams along the canes but make sure you wind them the right way. :thumb:

Moggots in the peas are good protein and help you have a balanced diet. :hehe:

The funeral went well yesterday and was a good celebration of my friend's life. He had organised the funeral himself and picked the prayers and hymns and the music he wanted. He had also chosen his coffin! The opening music was 'Nessun Dorma' which was his favourite song from when he used to sing in the choir in the 1940's. The exit music was John Denver singing 'Country Road'. He had also requested that we join his 'party' at the local golf club afterwards (his grandson is the chef there). The whole thing was a cheerful affair - just as he wanted it to be.

14. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Morning Shiney,

Sorry I forgot to mention about you going to the funeral:dh:and glad to hear that all went well and that you had a good celebration of his life.My tunes would be this one
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaMApWem9RM"]YouTube- John Miles - "Music" (was my first love) - live 1985[/nomedia] played at full volume,but I don't know whether you are allowed to play tunes at Green Burial Sites especially on Wight,but I doubt if I shall get either so Mr K will probably stick me on the compost heap,oh and I also want an Oak tree growing on top of me:D and also Celine Dion singing the titanic song:p

Are Moggots the same as maggots in the peas:flag::hehe: I have a lightweight set of sets I can use the only problem is Mr K has put up windproof netting so I might not be able to get the steps in,oh well I shall have to stand on tip toe and see how I get on:D

Good morning Woo,hope you get on ok with the Power shower.:gnthb:and lets hope all goes well with the judging of the garden comp this year:thmb::luv:

Have a good day both of you:)

15. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Good morning everyone,

Its sunny here, and warm, no rain today either.