1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yawn Yawn Wakey Wakey 2020

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by wiseowl, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,610
    Good day
    The skies are clearing and it is much cooler today. The high will be around 70f. Perfect for doing jobs around the yard. With that in mind, I will get the cushion covers for the outdoor set all serged and ready to sew and will do that before breakfast.

I've got a very full to do list for today so that will keep me moving.

Cheers all and have a good day :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Flumpy

Flumpy In with the bricks!

Ratings:
      +6,680
      Hi Everyone sorry I’m late with the cups of teas:coffee: please forgive me :doggieshmooze:, gorgeous day out there, so I’m going to get cracking on in the garden pruning and tidying.
      I’m loving all these nice pictures your sending there lovely.
      Upsydaisy & Shiney I’ve heard it’s gonna rain next Wednesday so keep praying for you :spinning:

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,360
        Aloha everyone,

I was very busy yesterday and have another busy day today. :phew:

They're only saying a 20% chance of it. We need 100% chance! :)

Keep well :biggrin:

Aloha!

• Agree Agree x 2
        • moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +9,817
          Good morning all, take care, stay safe and well. God bless. :wub2:

attachment Sunday.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 4
          • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
            Ratings:
            +54,374
            [​IMG]

We are so desperate for rain @Flumpy sadly as it stands at the moment we have 17% chance of rain on Wednesday.....I'll be grateful for any amount.

A very busy and emotionally draining day yesterday as the task of sorting out, throwing away things and closing down our parents house began. I couldn't bring myself to venture into the garden at all.

Hopefully today I should complete all the planting out ......then I can breathe easier. I've lost count on how many 100's of seeds I have sown, grown, nurtured, pricked out , potted on, pinched out, watered, carried in and out of the greenhouse and cold frames on a daily basis. Hubs has no involvement in this side of garden whatsoever. It feels like the children all leaving home....again!! I am now experiencing ' empty greenhouse syndrome ':heehee:.
            I have the next lot of seeds ready and waiting!!;):dbgrtmb:

Have an enjoyable day.:spinning:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Flumpy

Flumpy In with the bricks!

Ratings:
              +6,680
              Morning all! Another wall to wall sunshine, I had to give my Rhododendron buckets of water last night as I noticed the flowers and leaves where drooping, my hose doesn’t reach the front garden, I gave it some rhododendron feed too, it’s meant to be 24c up here today but there’s a nice breeze. Upsydaisy it must be really hard, I dread one day having to do that, sending my big hugs :grphg:. My little green house is still full of my baby plants yet, I’m checking them every day.
              Moyra, Shiney Lori and wise owl hope your all well :spinning:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                Ratings:
                +30,610
                Good day
                Looks like a sunny day is happening as promised but it is still very chilly. Only 40f. Think that is 4C? Anyway, not to worry, I know it will start warming up gradually as is the "old style normal spring" instead of it going from cold to very hot. Quite good for getting things done out there before summer. I planted out my seedlings a couple of weeks ago as it was much warmer then :doh:Oh well, survival of the fittest..

@Upsydaisy I hope you enjoy going through all of those lovely sentimental items that your parents collected over their life. I have kept some of my parent's knick knacks and I enjoy the memories they bring back when I look at them or just smile at the good feeling they give me.

@shiney I hope you get some free water soon. I have been lucky this year with getting a nice rainfall at least once a week but if this year is like last, when the hot weather comes to stay, I'll be needing to water too.

@Flumpy sounds like a perfect day for puttering :)

I've got a busy day what with wanting to get work done in the morning so as to be able to putter about in my yard this afternoon. I've got to figure out how to keep next door's weeds from coming over to my side and I think I'm going to have to add a barrier along the bottom of the fence. They've got thistles, dandelions, creeping Charlie and a whole other assortment of nasties with a few blades of grass in between. They just mow down the weeds to about 1" so it is not so noticeable to people walking by and I have worked very hard to get a nice lawn and don't want my efforts ruined by their laziness.

Cheers all and have a lovely day. Another cuppa for me to get my mojo going :coffee:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +54,374
                  To be honest Lori...no I don't enjoy it one little bit. There is so much stuff that my Dad ' collected ' over the years since my Mum passed away that she would never have given house room to!! It's too sad for the 4 of us as we know he placed a 'value ' on what is really junk!! And we have to place it all in the bin.

There is nothing that I or my siblings want as it would only end up in our attics collecting dust until it has to be cleared away when we all die. It may sound cruel but we all have a piece of furniture that our parents have bequeathed to us individually, and again it may sound heartless but both my elder sister and I don't really want/ have space for our items either.
                  I have all my Mum's gardening books...my Dad's silver grapefruit spoon...as I always used it to eat my orange when I had lunch with him, as eating an orange 'normally ' makes me retch and he said it would be mine...in time.
                  I will have my Dad's beloved Lemon Tree...that has almost died several times over and never fruited. I also want one of his tatty old ' chilling at home' shirts that have buttons missing and is full of tiny holes from the many times he almost set himself alight smoking his pipe!!:heehee:. I have kept one of the shirts that my Mum wore when she was gardening.Over the years I have successfully taken several cuttings from Mum's favourite Dahlia that she planted a couple of years before she passed away . I am planning on taking some plants / cuttings from their garden before we put the house on the market too.

My Mum kept many well organised photo albums...going back to our Great Grandparents in the late 1800's and my niece is going to transfer them over to her computer and eventually all 4 of us will be given a usb stick or link to transfer then to ours too. But as she is a working Mum with a hubby and toddler to cater for it will take time.
                  These things ,although they hold absolutely no value, are the priceless keepsakes to me.:)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                    Last edited: May 31, 2020
                  • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                    Ratings:
                    +30,610
                    @Upsydaisy oh yes, lots of editing went on with my parent's stuff. I still have 4 dining chairs that will be going to the Salvation army when their drop off center opens again. They've been in my cellar for years. I also kept the photos and paid a neighbourhood kids to scan them into the computer and gave a copy of the files to everyone. They didn't keep a lot of junky stuff but there were certainly things that I didn't like when they were alive and I didn't want to keep so I didn't. :) I too kept a light jacket of my Mum's which has stains all over it from paint or whatever. Good for doing messy jobs :blue thumb:

I have kept a little brass ornament with the three monkeys - see no evil etc. (And over here there should have been a fourth one for winter with one little monkey holding his.. to keep from freezing):biggrin:

Unfortunately they spent their last years in a high-rise condo so no plants or gardening items to keep.

You'll get through. I had to sort through a friend's place a few years ago and he was a hoarder. It was nasty!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +54,374
                      Thankfully he wasn't a hoarder like the ones they make programmes about on tv . He just seemed to accumulate bits and bobs that he thought might come in useful, but nobody else did! My Mum wouldn't have let him get away with it that's for sure.

Yes you've phrased it how I should have done..... my parent's didn't have junky stuff either..in fact they had new dinning room furniture just before Mum died and it was very expensive and handmade, but sadly none of us need it ,and it's not really to our taste . My brother will probably have their sofa and my Dad's matching riser recliner chair as he is disabled and his old riser and sofa have seen better days!! Again the sofa and chairs were new when my Mum died, she chose it but never lived to see it delivered..it did however arrive in time for her funeral!!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • jimcubs

jimcubs Gardener

Ratings:
                        +598
                        lori the bara bryth recipe we are using is the Mary Berry one

• Like Like x 2
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +9,817
                          Good morning all, Thank you @Flumpy . Take care everyone, God bless. :wub2:

Have a good day and stay safe and well. :-)

156439-Happy-Monday.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                            Ratings:
                            +118,360
                            Aloha everyone,

I did some good deed delivering yesterday but shall be taking things easy today under 'doctor's :whistle:' orders.

Someone is coming round to isolate and sleep in the garden. Also some more plant purchasers coming round and someone from the charity to collect the money received to date - about £1,300.

The promised rain for this week has disappeared off the weather forecast! :wallbanging:

Keep well. :biggrin:

Aloha!

• Like Like x 1
                            • Informative Informative x 1
                            • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +54,374
                              [​IMG]

Knew it!!....I've woken up with a full blown migraine this morning, felt it coming on yesterday. I think the stress of the week isn't helping. Need to go and cut my brother's hair and sort out his clothes for wearing to our Dad's funeral at some point today and call into to see my older sister
                              on the way back.
                              Even washing my hair was painful this morning.:sad:

@moyra how are you today hope things have improved for you.

@shiney enjoy your restful day.

Take care all.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                              • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                                Ratings:
                                +30,610
                                Good day
                                Oh, @Upsydaisy I wish I could do something to help with your migraines. @Snorky85 gets those too and I just can't imagine having a day ruined by something as nasty and unpredictable as those. I hope you're able to get it gone soon. :grphg:

@jimcubs I'll look for that. I'd never heard of Bara bryth or Mary Berry before so it should be a fun search. :)

@shiney what a wonderful thing you and Mrs. S are doing for the charity. That is a lot of work!

@moyra your morning greetings are always a pleasant opening to my day:blue thumb:

It went down to 43f last night and I noticed some of the plants did not look at all pleased but the weather guessers have told us these really cold nights are a thing of the past now.

I've got plenty to do today. I need to get my van serviced (brakes) and so will be setting that up and hopefully finally get around to having my winter tyres and rims changed over to the summer set for my Mustang. The battery died from not driving it in ages so I hooked up a solar panel to charge it up and be ready to drive to the garage.

I also have some tidying to do in one corner. I don't know about everyone else here but in my kitchen I have a "junk" drawer where all of the bits and pieces get dumped and I seem to have the same habit in the yard. That one corner collects all of the things I'm guessing most of us would hide in a shed. So today I want to get that sorted because I don't have a shed to hide it in!

Have a lovely day all :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                                • Like Like x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.