1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yeoman Border Fork

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Larkshall, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Yesterday I purchased a Yeoman border fork. I can only say that the design of the fork makes it extremely hard to use. There is far too much curve on the tines so you cannot get a direct thrust into the ground. To make matters worse the handle is off-set. The result of this bad design is that to get a direct thrust into the soil you have to have the handle about 2ft forward of the vertical.

I will avoid Yeoman tools in future.

• Like Like x 1
    • alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,073
      Sorry to hear about the problem with the fork - but I am puzzled. Did you buy from a shop or online? If from a shop surely you would have noticed the curvature of the tines & forward set of the handle in the shop. - Anyway, what to do. - As the tool is pretty new would the supplier consider return and credit against buying a more suitable (and more expensive) fork? Or could you find a local engineer / blacksmith who could straighten the tines a bit - this would be OK if it's a carbon steel fork, but I wouldn't go down this route on a stainless model. If you bought online could you return the fork as not suitable?

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      I know the fork you are refering to .... I don't think it has been designed to turn hard soil .... it is good as a hay/compost fork or to turn soft bedding soil

sometimes it pays to visit your local recycle centre/tip ... I bought a fork, spade, 2 rakes a sledge hammer and a shovel for £8 last week
      from our local tip

all sturdy and the fork and spade looks like it could be from the victorian era .... very sturdy, a bit rusty and very old .... was a bargain

Tesco is currently having a huge sale on all garden tools / garden supplies, so look there aswell

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        You should always check what you're buying before you "fork" out, Larkshall:D