1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yeoman Ratchet Secateur

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by has bean counter, Jul 11, 2009.

1. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    May I recommend to you these secauters for those who suffer from arthritis and other problems (eg RSI) that makes prunning a painful experience. It does what it says on the box.

The price is reasonable but not always easy to find. I kmow of two users who are now busily devestating their shrubs.

The catch can be awkward

http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=3005&pf_id=LD0011D

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    I've got something similar to that, and rarely use them, I find them a little akward as the ratchet doesn't work well on thicker branches (maybe the Yeoman is better than mine). Instead I prefer longer handled cutters where the action seems more natural, but then again they are much heavier to pick up and need two hands.

3. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    How does the ratchet thing work?

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    Basically it needs two or three or more squeezes to fully close the blades, so it gives a lot more leverage, the idea is you can cut through stems that you could not manage in one snip if your grip is weak. I think my problem is it encourages me to try and cut branches too thick and the blade sort of jams in the wood, for 'normal' rose type pruning this is ideal, but obvioulsy takes a little longer.

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Be warned, the ratchet mecanisms break very quickly.

IMO the best solution is to get some felcos and keep them sharp plus a silky saw for anything the felcos cant cut.

6. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  7. Mr. Twosheds

Mr. Twosheds Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    They seem light to use and again at £8.99 they are good value. I can see the problem JWK has, as I have managed to get myself in a pickle with a standard pair. My old pair were only cheap and are giving up the ghost, so I think I will replace them with a pair of these as my grip isn't what it used to be.

I will let you know how I get on.:)

8. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    mine too mr twosheds

Loopy