1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

your favourite tool/equipment for gardening

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by use to be gardener, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    My favourite tools are the Rotavator,Mattock and the Swoe,also my husband for doing the hard jobs that I cannot do like climbing up into the fruit trees and re felting the sheds,because I don't like heights and would get stuck up there and wouldn't be able to get back down :D :D

2. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What's a swoe? :confused:
    My favourite tool was a present bought for me by beloved to encourage me to weed. Needless to say it was not appreciated at the time (chocolates would have been better) but I wouldn't be without it now. It has a long handle and an arrow shaped head which is great for pulling up weeds, dead annuals etc.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  4. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My favourite tools are, an old wickes spade that the handle bent out of the shaft slightly and became a brill turf lifter, My secatuers but finally, my stihl strimmer with it's attachment that takes 6 strands, it makes a very strong strimmer / brushcutter, but also a brilliant lawn edger. [​IMG] But i love any labour saving gadgets too. :D

5. taz

taz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Being disabled i wouldn't b able 2 dig my allotment without my Terrex auto spade,sadly spring has snapped,can anyone help as i'me having trouble finding a replacement. :confused:

6. seeker of knowledge

seeker of knowledge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My favourite tool at present is a battery powered Bosche hedge cutter - tried it out last week and found it lovely and light to use, much easier than my old hedge cutter, and hardly any vibration. By the time I had finished with the old one, I felt I had st vitus dance.

7. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Secateurs, hand fork and trowel; there's barely enough room between the roses to wield anything bigger.
    I did have a couple of days recently with a stone cutting blade in the angle grinder plus a lump hammer and chisel to make holes in concrete so I could get at more soil to put roses in.

Cheers MIKE

8. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    A hardworking friend- unfortunately seldom available :D

9. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't it funny how you get some tools that you really grow to love working with? Different shapes etc. for everyone I should imagine too...

I have a few tools that I'm very fond of, including a lovely border fork and spade that a friend bought me, but I think my absolute favourites would have to be a hand fork and planting trowel my dad got for me from Lidl's or somewhere. I think it's mostly that the handles are just the right shape or something...

10. vegman

vegman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My spade I bought in 1968. Its only had three handles and two blades. Wouldnt be without it!!

11. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Another vote for the Dutch Hoe, so versatile

12. Laurie

Laurie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My knife with disposable blades, annd an old tablespoon - I'm a greenhoude gardener!

13. Laurie

Laurie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm unable, for health reasons, to get to garden centres, nurseries, etc., so have to do all muy shopping online. It's certainlt not my faourite tool, but I couldn't possibly manage without my computer.

14. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    my small hoe, which ends in a pointy bit.

15. lapod

lapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a good quality narrow paint s****er which I love for twist weeding as it is light but feels very positive and has a comfy handle and it also slices dandelions from my path with great eaze. I love it becasue I thought of trying to use it and it worked really good and feels nice to work with.
    I also have the first spade I ever bought and its quite small but feels nifty and my size. It is stainless steel and has a green plastic handle that has weathered and so it looks as old as it is which is visually nice because its a bit of a buzz to be grown up enough to have old tools.