1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Your new plant find of 2013

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Gay Gardener, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
    Ratings:
    +10,739
    JWK, as promised, I had a look today at the Begonia 'Santa Cruz Sunset'.
    They are planted in large round terracotta pots about 16ins (40cm) in diameter and each pot contains 11 or 12 plants.
    They're still putting on a good show, they looked rather bedraggled when we had some cooler weather and rain last week, but with the warm and dry weather this week they've perked up nicely again.
    I took a couple more photos to show them in a bit more detail.

001.JPG

003.JPG

• Like Like x 8
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,168
      They are stunning, thanks for that Trunky :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        Deffo grow it in a pot as it is only hardy down to -7°c.
        If you're after ideas for 2014, but need something that is hardy, then look no further than its cousin Iris japonica....................
        [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a spring bloomer and thrives in a pot or the ground.

• Like Like x 2
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +46,168
          A bit humble but it's the first time I've grown New Guinea impatiens:

20130928-IMG_8616.jpg

I bought a couple of plants for £5 and took around 60 cuttings, nearly all struck and I've been planting them all around the garden. They just keep blooming plus I like the leaf shiney colouring and shape. I intend to over-winter a few plants indoors and bulk them up again next spring by cuttings.

• Like Like x 7
          • Creative Creative x 1
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            How big have they got (in the ground) John?

(I'm about to do my annual plant-photographing and measuring - basically taking a photograph of the tape measure on the plant :) - to assist with planning in future years. I have too many short-plants, behind tall-plants, which have not performed as expected, nor as it said on the packet!)

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,246
            Lovely plants New Guinea Impatiens . Photo below is a version of NG's , Sunpatiens . Now the photo is not true as the sunlight seems to reflect on the silky leaves showing orange patches , the true colour is as shown in the top right of the photo.
            John how did you take so many cuttings of your NGs? What is the technique to use?

sp2.jpg

• Like Like x 3
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +46,168
              Mine are about 3 inches, I put them in the wrong place though (sounds familiar!) and they have been a bit crowded out by taller plants around them, if I'd got it right I think they will make between 8 to 12 inches at most in the soil:

20130929-IMG_8686.jpg

I also started my cuttings way too late. I was let down by thegardencentregroup (aka Wyevale) from whom I'd pre-ordered NG Impatiens plugs, but they never turned up, so that's why I went down the DIY cuttings route. I didn't take the cuttings till mid-May so they have done pretty well.

• JWK

Ratings:
              +46,168
              I like those Sunpatiens too Harry, I noticed them in the GCs recently and they are on my list to try next year. Where did you get your's from Harry? I made a note that Brookside Nursery (you posted on another thread) stock them as plug plants :blue thumb:

The doner plants were already flowering and very bushy, I cut off all the shoots aiming to get an inch or so of stem and stuck around 8 into a pot of 50/50 compost/sharp sand. I also cut up the remaining stems into 2" bits and they also rooted OK, just keeping a leaf node above the compost.

20130615-IMG_7971.jpg

One batch I kept indoors and misted every day, (also nipping off the flower buds as they formed) the other batch I plonked into a shady part of the greenhouse and covered them with plastic drinks bottles cut in half:

20130608-IMG_7914.jpg

There wasn't much difference between either method, just a little less effort using the plastic covers. I didn't take any photos of the rooted cuttings, just found this googling, very similar to mine after about 5 to 6 weeks:

[​IMG]

Potted on individually after that and they grow very fast.

• Informative Informative x 3
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                Thanks John, about what I was expecting, and I think a little short for what I need front-of-border.

I did a batch of cuttings, earlier in the year, 50:50 compost/sharp sand, whereas normally I use 50:50 Perlite, but I had run out of Perlite. A later batch was done with Perlite. The Perlite had fewer roots (X weeks from starting them), I know its later in the season and so on, but Perlite has been my stock in trade for many seasons and I now wonder which is better !.

I've vowed to do a side by side test next year :)

I found that the compost/sand pots were incredibly heavy, and I thought must be holding a lot of water. The compost didn't seem that wet when I potted them on ...

The perlite ones (I potted on this weekend) were really wet, and I think that may have effected the amount of root they have produced ...

Both lots were under mist propagator, so do get a lot of water on them. The 50:50 Sand ones were on the bench for several weeks because I needed the space under the mist bench, so that might have given them time to make more roots whilst being drier.

I still like the Perlite at potting on time though. It crumbles off the roots so easily, whereas I was having to tear some cuttings apart in the 50:50 Sand mixture (and I had a few pots of just compost, their roots were really matted, and mostly only around the outside of the pots, the roots had not ventured into the centre, and thus quite a lot of root damage at potting on time).

Experiment needed :) at which time I might try 100% Perlite too. I also think I should start dilute feed once I see some new top growth.

• Like Like x 2
                • Informative Informative x 1