your thoughts: secateurs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ja6er, Aug 31, 2010.

1. ja6er

ja6er Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Everybody

I'm new to the forum...so please be gentle...
    i have posted this in the tools section, but as this page seems more lively..im asking here too.

I am studying design with the Open University, and for my final piece, I have decided to investigate and design an assisted/electronic pair of secateurs.

I am currently doing some user research into secateurs, and would like your suggestions, thoughts, and any issues you have with current designs of secateurs.
    I have had a quick look through the forum, and see that some of you find it hard to use them, especially with arthritis and other injuries...what would make it much easier for you to use these tools?

also, what would you consider appealing? I see Bosch have come up with a new pair of electronic secateurs. the Ciso. have you seen these? and what are your thoughts on these?

what would you be prepared to pay for a pair of secateurs that do the job well, and make life much easier for you?

any comments, thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

sorry mods if me posting this here is a problem... merge or move if you think it needs doing...

thanks

James.
    [​IMG]

2. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    My suggesstion would be that they be power-assisted somehow so I can prune away happily and that I will still be able to pick up things the next day without dropping them because normal secatures totally finish of the achy bones in my thumbs and fingers and wrist.

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +22,015
    Hardly secateurs if they're electronic? Anyhoo, maybe base the electronics on a scaled down version of a car power assisted steering circuit and use servo motors to drive the cutting blades? I guess put the gizmo at the end of a short stick with a power button to make it work.

Would I be prepared to pay extra for this? No, but I currently dont have any trouble with my Felco's!

4. theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +149
    James, hopefully some members who have opinions on this topic will help you out, but all I can offer is the following observation. I recently came by a freebie battery powered Bosch secateur and gave it to one of my customers who finds secateurs a bit difficult at times. She found them a bit slow and the battery did not last very long either. She felt they were ideal for someone needing to make a couple of snips...but not a practical alternative to manually operated ones. :wink:
    Julie

5. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    I have to say I find my ratchet secateurs require very little effort to cut through anything up to 20mm: as to whether I'd bother to buy an 'electronic' pair (e.g. the Bosch Ciso cordless) is unlikely as I see the weight of the unit during prolonged use, being a problem for those with poor grip.

6. Rob Jones

Rob Jones Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Quite, I suspect the battery power needed to exert enough pressure to cut through hardwood would be unobtainable for anything remotely practicable. Maybe something could be designed that run off mains power to fuel a compressor, with a small air line to the cutters for a pneumatic assisted operation? ......just a thought.

7. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Over a long period of time I've bought cheap secateurs and expensive secateurs.
    They all lasted one season.
    None were easier than the others.
    I've concluded - none were better than the others.
    Just but a pair for the season and throw away.
    Well, that's my observations.

8. Hathertonwood

Hathertonwood Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The best secateurs will last a lifetime but you need to clean and lubricate all of them regularly.

Regarding power assisted anything with batteries incorporated will be too heavy. Perhaps compressed air is the way to go - I think Felco do one for orchard pruning..

9. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,990
    The thing which really annoys me about all secateurs from Felco to Bosch is that the clip wich keeps them closed is situated in such a way that every time I use them it closes and locks the blades shut. I have actually removed the closing mechanism on my favourite pair. Dangerous I know, but at least I can prune without having to unlock them every time.

10. Surfer

Surfer Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    That is a bit strange as for most good secateurs you can buy new blades at a fraction of the cost of new secateurs unless I am missing something.

11. Amily

Amily Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  12. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I think what you missed Surfer was me.
    I abuse the secateurs by asking them to do jobs they weren't designed for and sometimes lose them. So I just buy for the season.

13. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    A couple of years ago I needed to replace my old Rolcut anvil secateurs, and was delighted to find Loewe secateurs from Germany. Website www.original-loewe.de The historic link with Rolcut is very interesting. (There is a drop-down to English version on the little globe icon, top right)

14. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I always snap up those all metal chrome plated RolCut anvil secateurs at car boots as they last longer than any cheap new pruners. I've only ever had 2 break and one of those was because I ran a petrol mower over them.

[​IMG]

P.S. Original RolCut tools made in England before the company closed down were purchased by a company in the USA and are still available from http://www.springwateranimalsupply.com/items/Garden-Supplies/list.htm who I understand will ship to the UK.

15. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,299
    Hey they are exactly the same as the ones given to me XMAS 1982, by an old aunt when I asked for a good pair of secateurs
    Still using them as good as ever, mind I have only had two dozend rose bushes/standards to clip each year, so not exactly worked to death
    (I leave them in the open position when not used as it prevents the spring losing its compression)

Jack McHammocklashing

OP, I personally can not see electronic any use other than a novelty, Unless off course you can pump the handles like those torches to produce electric power only in Your case pneumatic power, though that would not help people with poor grip/Uncle Arthur