1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yucca- pot or ground?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by CharlieBot, Jul 28, 2014.

1. CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,523
    My father in law has given us a yucca today. He grew it on from a sprout of his plant, which is 3ft tall and described by him as a triffid. It's about 30cm tall at the moment.

Do I put it in the ground or play it safe in a container? I'm worried it might turn into our 10ft pampas grass (which I'm already dreading dealing with when the time comes!). I don't know how big yuccas grow, any hints/tips welcome. Not sure what to plant it with either as it doesn't fit my current garden style...though I do have some acers on the way which is a new thing for me.
    I could redo my back flower bed next year with the yucca central and a little lavender hedge/lady's mantle or some annuals around it? The soil is free draining and the aspect east and sunny all afternoon/evening.

2. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    Charlie, They grow big, I had a little one given to me years ago I put it in the ground and after a couple of years it was like a small tree, The flower is a spectacle to behold altho short lived. Funny thing tho its spikes are wicked A robin built its nest right in the centre , No predator problems there, smart little birds Robins.

• Agree Agree x 1