1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Yucca trimmage??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by siriusb, Dec 17, 2006.

1. siriusb

siriusb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Help!

I have an indoor yucca plant that is not only huge but also leans at well over 45 degrees. I have scoured the net to find out whether I can chop it back and let it grow agin but I can't find anything that really tells me.
    So I am just wondering if anyone has any experience of a similar problem, or tips as to what I can do with it?
    Thanks
    x

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Its OK to cut a yucca back siriusb.
    I've, in the past, cut the stems off drasticly and they grow new shoots quite well.
    You can use the cut off pieces as cuttings, even sections of stem will root as long as you remember which end is the top.

3. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we have several yuccas in our garden and have cut one down to the roots ,but it still grows up they seem to be indistructable,and any side shoots will grow very easy

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Just a little tip if you do take stem cuttings and don't want to get mixed up which way up they go cut the bottom of the cutting straight the top at 45 degrees when you pick them up you will instantly know which way up they go

5. siriusb

siriusb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So do I have to strip the leaves from the stem prior to attempting to re-grow the cuttings?
    And how close to the soil can i hack it back?

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    I'd be inclined to leave some stem for it to resprout from, it depends on what you want the cut down version to look like.
    As for the cuttings.
    its best to strip some leaves from the lower end of the stem and I would allow the cut end to dry for a few days before inserting it in a pot of sandy compost.
    The pot doesn't need to be very big at this stage just as long as you can find a way of supporting the top growth until it roots.